Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Let's Learn Some Basics

Does anybody besides me want to know if others share their views?  I believe I speak for the majority in most of my opinions, but in reality I have no way of knowing.  Likewise, I'm sure there are members of our community who disagree with me, and may also be curious to know if their feelings are shared.

I have prepared three simple survey questions on the left sidebar of this page.  When you answer each question, you'll see the response rate by others.  The survey is not a community vote, it is simply an expression of sentiment, so hearing from a pair in the family is worthy information (to recognize that there are split viewpoints within some families).

One of the questions, the last one about how you'd like to receive information from the Board, has two options where the benefits and drawbacks are not intuitively obvious.  Here are a couple of things to consider:

Email:  The advantage of receiving email is that it's usually the easiest to access and read.  The drawback is that you and others may reply to the sender, and none of you can benefit from the questions and answers the others are exchanging with the sender.

Blog:  The advantage of receiving communication via a blog is that comments, questions, and answers are shared so all participants have an opportunity to learn from each other.  This does not prevent private communication, but it serves to facilitate public discussion when it's appropriate.  The drawback is that the reader has to click a link to open a web page.

This survey is totally transparent, and I have no control over how it plays out.  It would really be great to have a strong response.  Obviously, the results are not definitive, the intent is just to see if there is strong sentiment that swings in any particular direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment